MAMA kicked off the 2022 eMeet season with guests from Ford to discuss the new 2022 Maverick compact pickup. After MAMA VP Robert Duffer welcomed the 40 members in attendance, he introduced Ford representatives Rhonda Bambrick from Ford’s communications team; Trevor Scott, Marketing Manager for the Ford Maverick and Ranger; and Dawn McKenzie, Communications Manager for the Ford Trucks line.
Many MAMA members have already experienced the Maverick through events or press drives, so this eMeet was less like an introduction, and more like a second or third date. Trevor Scott refreshed meeting attendees on Maverick’s specs and features while providing insight on the truck’s success so far. As Ford anticipated, the unibody pickup, with its standard 5-passenger crew cab, has captured buyers both new to the brand and to trucks in general.
Some noteworthy trends from early sales data:
- Strong interest in coastal areas where pickups are not typically popular
- Many buyers transitioned from sedan or SUV ownership
- Buyers are younger and skew more female and more diverse than traditional pickup sales
One of Maverick’s unique features is its customizable bed, designed specifically to encourage DIYers to come up with new and creative ways to fit the truck into an active lifestyle. Many Maverick owners share their innovations on social media, which has created a community feel among early adopters. Custom bike racks are an especially popular example, according to Scott.
"There's really a lot of exciting things we're seeing from our customer base thus far," said Scott.
The Maverick has proven so popular that the initial production run of hybrid-powered trucks is already spoken for, the model enjoys a turnaround time of just four days on a dealer lot, and it has earned several accolades, including 2022 North American Truck of the Year and Car Connection’s 2022 Best Car to Buy. Check out the Chicago Auto Show, from February 12-21, to see it for yourself.
Key specs and features of the 2022 Ford Maverick include:
- Unibody design with 5-passenger cabin
- XL, XLT, and Lariat trims
- FX4 package for upgraded off-road capability
- Base hybrid model; turbocharged 4-cylinder powertrain available
- FWD standard; AWD available with turbo 4-cylinder
- 4,000-lb max towing capacity
- 8.0-inch touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capabilities
- Starting price of $19,995